Friday, March 14, 2014

Week 22

I have not been at the prison much this week.  A series of events derailed me from my internship!  First my almost spring allergies sent me into a throbbing ear infection, very unpleasant.  I reluctantly called in sick to work and planned on spending the day laying down and using herbal eardrops to soothe the infection, but I got an email from a good friend that her beloved grandmother was back in the hospital and that were going to stop all interventions and allow her to die. I knew that this would be hard for my friend so I jumped out of bed, threw on some clothes, and rushed to my car.

The first few hours we were in a holding pattern waiting for a room to open on a floor better able to handle palliative care.  The staff was trying to slow things down long enough for a family member to arrive from out of state.   I could tell that some of the staff was stressed about how to perform palliative care while also prolonging her life long enough for the plane to arrive. 

The hospital staff was great.  The nurses worked hard to keep Grandma comfortable and to be as supportive as they could to the family.  It was interesting to be able to be on the other side of the hospital bed and not have to worry about a list of duties and responsibilities.  I enjoyed just being there for my friend and her loved ones.

Lots of stories, laughter, and tears were shared.  Most of the tears were mine!  My friend did a great job holding back her tears and just focusing on keeping her grandmother comfortable and safe.  It wasn’t until the moment of death that her tears really began to flow and the emotions hit her.  She didn’t have to hold it back anymore.

I get very emotional about births and deaths.  Tears come easily to me.  It isn’t because I am extremely sad, but because I am aware of the fragility and the absolute miracle of life.  The feeling is so huge, and difficult to describe with words, that it spills out in my tears.  

-Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat 

Several amazing things happened while we were gathered around the hospital bed.  The first was that a harpist came in to play for my friend’s grandmother.  It was so beautiful and soothing.  The three of us in attendance were absolutely quiet and transfixed by watching Grandma’s face.  She was visibly soothed by the music and woke up enough to have a nice moment with my friend.  The woman playing the harp said that the method she uses is called Music-Thanatology and that she was syncing her music to the patient’s breathing.  This same therapy was offered at the hospital I had worked for, but I had never been able to sit and witness its effect.  It was very moving.  You can read more about music-thanatology with the links below.



The second special thing that happened was that we got the perfect chaplain!  My friend had hoped to be able to burn some sage and smudge her grandmother, but of course that wasn’t allowed because of the oxygen and smoke alarms.  Well, one doctor said we could just do it and say that we didn’t know it wasn’t allowed, but the room had the kind of smoke alarms that was attached to a sprinkler system!  The chaplain for our floor came by and said that although he couldn’t help us burn sage, he could give us some Rose of Sharon Oil for anointing and teach us how to clean her energy.  Now what are the chances that our little hippie group just happened to stumble onto a shamanic chaplain at a Catholic hospital? 

He showed us a simple way to cleanse Grandma’s energy field and ground the negative energy.  We did this twice as part of a short ritual.  We added some of the rose oil to a bottle of rose water and used it to spray around the room.  I also used it to bless Grandma.  I don’t know exactly what I said because I wasn’t working with any prewritten words, but simply what came to me in the moment.  I called in the Universe, God, and all of the spirits of loved ones that have passed to be with Grandma.  I then anointed her third eye and asked the Universe to send Grandma all of the best memories of her life and loves.  I anointed her heart and asked the Universe to send Grandma all of the love that she has inspired in other people and also to reflect back all of the love that she has given.  I anointed her hands and asked them to be blessed for all of the times she has used them to share kindness with others.  I anointed her feet and asked them to be blessed for all of the trials they have walked through and for the journey that lies ahead. 

Eventually, my friend’s brother arrived and their grandmother had her oxygen turned off.  Thankfully the nurse had good orders for comforting medications and was not shy about using them.  We all told stories and reminisced while we watched her breathing slow and take short pauses.  Each pause would bring tension to the room as we wondered if this was it, but it took a few hours before her spirit passed on to whatever lays beyond this life. 
  
Time after that was chaotic.  The medical staff moved quickly to get the family out of the room and to verify the death. The nurse asked me and another friend of the family to help pack up the room and move everything out.  In retrospect, the pace of this was not the way I would have preferred things if I were assisting in a home death.  I would want to bathe the body, bless it and sing to it.  Dress it in pretty clothes and prepare it to go to where ever it needs to next.  I don’t believe that the body is just an empty shell left over when the spirit leaves, but that it holds intrinsic value and sacredness.   Caring for the body can be a spiritual act and a therapeutic process for loved ones.  I regret that there wasn’t time for me to offer this to the family. 

I was greatful to be able to be there for my friend, and to be witness to the passing of a wonderful woman.  While it wasn't the chaplaincy experience I had planned on having that day, it was an experience that has enriched my pastoral education and reminded me of the beauty of life.  

Bright Spring Blessings,

Holly

 


1 comment:

  1. Great story! I did my chaplain residency at a Catholic hospital in West Virginia of all places. And there were a couple of "odd chaplains," myself included there at St. Mary's Medical Center.... and not a single Roman Catholic Priest serving as a chaplain.

    ReplyDelete