Saturday, November 23, 2013

Week Eleven


If God doesn't give you more than you can handle, does that mean that he wanted my parents rape me when I was three?

If it is a sin to lie, then am I going to hell for not telling people the truth about my crime so that they won't beat me up or try to kill me?

If the Devil puts temptation in our thoughts, am I possessed for wanting to steal an orange that is going to be thrown away?

If everything happens for a reason, does that mean that its ok that my mom beat me every night and wouldn't let me eat dinner?

If the Bible tells me to honor my parents, do I have to be nice to the father that molested me and killed my mom?

If the Bible tells me to forgive all sins, do I have to forgive the family member that beat me and my sisters?

If I can't feel God's love for me, if my life has been total shit, does that mean that I have been evil since before I was born and God is punishing me for it?

            These are some of the questions that I am asked in my time as a chaplain.  I find it horribly sad that so many people have justified the abuse of children by tying it some form of religious doctrine.  Nearly everyone I talk to who brings up sexual abuse also brings up how religion was used in conjunction with the abuse.  It's heartbreaking.

            While my personal theology does not include a vengeful God who could ever condone such atrocities, it means nothing to the inmates I work with if I can't back it up Biblically.

            When I do pastoral counseling with an inmate, I must work in an interfaith capacity.o even though I have not studied the Bible in depth, I need to be able to work with it with an inmate.  After repeatedly being asked the types of questions listed above I realized that I needed Biblical examples of a child's worth and value, kind and loving parenting, and a God who loves beyond reason.

            I don’t have the answers yet.  I am also wondering if The Gentle Bible may be of some help.  The Gentle Bible was developed by Rev. Craig Rennebohm as a way to support people with mental illness who may be triggered by portions of the Bible.  He picked out a reading that “expresses the love of God, the tenderness and patience of God’s gentle presence” for each day of the year.  I love this idea, and think that it could be useful for many men and women who struggle with Biblical passages being used as propaganda to support the abuse they suffered.

            I borrowed several books from the chaplain who supervises me, and I have been putting lots of sticky notes in them to remind me of the intriguing parts!   I also asked my sister in law, who is a devoted Baptist and loving mother, if she could find me scriptural examples that I could share with the inmates.  She pointed me towards The Wounded Heart book and workbook by Dan Allander.  I look forward to reading through them when they arrive.

            I have only just begun to research this complicated topic.  I plan on continuing to blog about the issues of sexual abuse and Christian teachings as I work through them.  I am open to suggestions; so if you know of a Biblical passage or a book that may offer me some guidance, please let me know!




Let's suppose somebody abused you sexually. 
You still had a choice, though not a good one, 
about what to tell yourself about the abuse.
-Albert Ellis

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Holly, this is so hard - indescribably for your inmates, and also difficult for you as their chaplain.

    I don't think you can "prove" the opposite of ingrained religious beliefs just by quoting "the right part" of their sacred book.

    What about saying, "I don't know, but we can find the answer together"? And then ask them to set aside the question for a time as you support them in exploring their pain. It also occurs to me that their bringing up these questions is their expression of hopefulness.

    "And where was God in that?" is one of my favorite questions when working with Christians, especially those with strict readings of the Bible, since I know I can't quote the Bible like they can. This may not be a useful question to ask everyone, nor necessarily at the very beginning of your work together. But, just the fact that they are still alive may be evidence of God's loving hand.

    You can sit with them and help them observe the wisdom within them -- even if it seems to them only like longings: to feel whole, loved, and strong (I mean power-within, not power-over). I might ask: Could that (the longings) be God talking to you? Isn't God love? What can you do to hear/sense these (positive) messages from God more easily? and so on. You might even ask them to "act as if" God is a loving God - as an experiment.

    Another idea might be to ask/assign them to bring in a positive Bible passage each time you meet. That would give you(plural) something to explore, and then close the session with.

    Just some ideas from my work as a hospital chaplain, where we rarely get the possibility of building the long-term relationships that you have.

    Bless you for serving and bearing witness for these folks, Holly.

    ReplyDelete