Saturday, February 8, 2014

Week 18

Imbolc



            I am sitting near a window that overlooks my snow covered backyard.  It’s been snowing for the past several days and so it seems like I won’t be able to make it to the prison tomorrow as I had planned.  The plan was to have a special Imbolc ritual a week late, but I guess it can be two weeks late and still be lovely! 

            Imbolc is the second winter holidays that many Pagans celebrate.  It is a time to celebrate the much beloved Goddess Brigit, the cows and sheep that are giving birth and coming into milk, the mystery of returning son, and the continuation of the long winter days.  It feels appropriate right now as I try to make up meals from my increasingly small stock of supplies since I can’t make it into the stores. 

            It can also be a time to look forward to spring and think about the things that you wish to manifest in your life.  For Imbolc in the prison,  we are going to dedicate ourselves to some sort of pursuit for the next year.  Some of the inmates may want to dedicate themselves as a Pagan or a witch while others may want to dedicate themselves to working with a certain deity or a personal challenge. 

            To begin our ritual we will have a brief check in and then chant Earth My Body as we do every time we meet.  Then we will arrange ourselves around a small plastic cauldron that I have filled with red and yellow tissue paper to make it look like a fire.  We will sit on cushions on the floor and make a circle around ourselves with a small amount of salt.  We will call the corners and use moss, feathers, small cups of water, and apache tears (obsidian) to stand in for the elements. 

            We will then sink into a space of mediation before taking turns sharing our dedication with the group.  I wrote out a simple dedication for inmates who wanted to use it, but many are wonderful writers and will likely create their own person dedications.

I, (name), daughter of (name),
do dedicate myself to walk the path of (intentions) for one year and a day.

I dedicate my energies, my heart, my spirit,
and my mind to following the path of (intentions).

This is now my center.  If I stray, this is where I will come back.

In times of darkness, I will lean on (intentions) to support me.

In times of great joy I will give thanks to (intentions) for blessing me.

In times of stillness and great activity, I will carry (intentions) in my heart.

I will strive to be the best model of (intentions),
so that this blessing can be shared with the wider world.



Blessed Be.

            When everyone has time to share we will bless ourselves with water.  I hope to be able to bring in some floral water to use for the blessing.  If not, maybe a bit of unsweetened tea would do!

  • ·      Anointing the forehead:  I bless my mind so that it may see clearly the path to my greatest good.

  • ·      Anointing the heart:  I bless my heart that it may help me find the love I need for others and myself as I dedicate myself to my path.

  • ·      Anointing the backs of the hands:  I bless my hands so that they may help me do the work that is needed as I journey on my path. 

  • ·      Anointing the stomach:  I bless my gut so that my inner wisdom can shine light onto my pathway when times are dark. 

  • ·      Anointing the feet:  I bless my feet so that may carry me as far as I need to travel as I walk along my path.

  • ·      Rubbing the water between the hands and over the whole body:  I dedicate my body, mind, and spirit to the pursuit of this noble path.  

  • ·      Blessed Be! 


            Next we will put on some music and will lead the women in a spiral dance around the room.  After that, we will have time for cakes and ale (usually cookies and juice) and some brief chatting before we return to our circles and release the elements. 


            I am excited to perform this ritual alongside the inmates, but I don’t want to risk my safety by traveling before the roads are clear and free of snow and ice!  Perhaps we will get an Imbolc miracle and the weather will warm up enough to allow us to celebrate tomorrow, but whenever it happens it should be lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment