Sunday, October 20, 2013

Week Six


Last week was a challenge.  I was again overwhelmed with the amount of grief and suffering that walks through prisons.  In fact, I think the impact of it has had a physical affect on my body.  Last week I had a migraine, and this week I had a flare up of my arthritis, something that rarely happens to me anymore.  Clearly I need to work on my “self care” and grounding.

Stress in the workplace is something I’ve always experienced.  I have exclusively worked in the caring professions of nursing, social work, motherhood, and now as a chaplain and pastoral counselor.  My soul is attracted to this form of vocation, but my physical body does not enjoy it as much.  I was diagnosed with a form of arthritis just after I graduated from nursing school.  While the physical stress of working as a hospital cardiac nurse could be intense, the emotional strain of dealing with life or death situations daily is what put me over the edge.  I often came home from work hurting too badly to be able to sleep.

When I left nursing I naively thought that being a mother and a social worker would be less stressful for me.  This didn’t turn out to be true for me.  When I am working with someone who is grieving, anxious, or hopeless, I feel a physical reaction in my own body.  These physical feelings can help me identify what my client might be experiencing, but has not been able to put into words yet.  This is a lovely skill, but it takes a toll on me if I don’t clear out these energies when I am done with a session.

Ministry Magazine reported that 57.3% of chaplains reported experiencing three or more symptoms of impairment from work related stress.  Only 32.8% of the general population reported the same levels of impairment.  Furthermore, 76% of chaplains reported their fatigue to be at an excessive level.

These statistics seem to show us that while chaplains may be skilled at giving supportive advice to caregivers, they aren’t experts at putting it into action in their own lives.  They may also point to the unique levels of stress that chaplain’s experience.  Chaplains tend do the dirty work of ministry.  We listen to the most horrible stories and are rarely called on in moments of joy.  We don’t get a balanced look at the world.

Counselors also experience the darker sides of life on a daily basis.  In an article in Counseling Today, Lynne Shallcross reminded counselors that it is important to take view your own wellness and a top priority because your mind and body are the vehicle you use for your work.  It is noted that counselors tend to neglect self care because our culture promotes unrealistic amounts of self reliance, counselors can become numb to the stress they are under, and may not have been taught how to employ empathy without enmeshment.

The good news is that there are many things can help decrease caregiver fatigue.  Shallcross likens it to putting on an oxygen mask before helping the people next to you. She recommends periodic “wellness checks” that include assessing your stress levels and talking to peer support groups.  Other suggestions include regular vacations, practicing setting firm boundaries, and using relaxation techniques often.

Even the act of changing your clothes when you get home from work can help prime your mind to release some of the tension from the day.

Joyce Harrell, a holistic RN, suggests pairing specific pure essential oils with mindfulness activities such as guided meditation.  She recommends using Frankincense or Myrrh for their mediation qualities, and Sandalwood or Patchouli for grounding.  A spray bottle of water and essential oils could be left in your car for a quick emotional detox on your way home from a day of work.

The American Holistic Nurses Association suggests that nurses who experience a great deal of on the job stress use autogenic training to help them cope and stay healthy.  Autogenic Training is similar to muscle relation exercises that people may be more familiar with.  It involves using specific statements to deeply relax different parts of your body.  Autogenic Training is quick, easily to learn, requires absolutely no props, and can be done anytime and anyplace.

The Chaplaincy Institute has a lovely ritual for caregivers posted on their website.  This ritual is intended to be used by people who do physical and emotional caregiver for a loved one, but it can be adapted to suit the needs of professional caregivers as well.  My favorite part of the ritual is the prayer at the end that includes the line:

          In my willingness to be of service,

          May I find hope.

          In the face of indifference,

          May I find courage.

          In giving what I can,

          May I find love.

Rituals work well for me, so I hope to plan and implement a ritual that I can partake in before and after a shift at the prison.  I would like to have quick ritual to help me mentally make the transition to “Chaplain Holly” and another to bring me back to “Plain Old Holly” at the end of the day.  I'll post the ritual when I have it completed, and in the meantime I hope everyone finds some peace as we journey through fall.


Blessings,

Chaplain Holly

6 comments:

  1. Good post. Self Care is very important and something I had to be very mindful in the past. It doesn't always have to be extensive "self care" especially if you're at work and need to check out for a few minutes. I always found, that for me, routines were important and spending a few minutes alone outside were helpful. But each of us are different but it's important to find out what works for you. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. When I am at the prison I hardly ever get outside! There is a bit of space though that I could go and sit in. I should try that next week. Some days I sit at my desk for seven hours with only short walks across the chapel to break up the time!

      Delete
  2. Holly, I'm sorry to hear that your physical health is being negatively impacted by your prison chaplaincy. I doubt I can fully imagine the stories you hear/read.

    You mention that you regularly cleanse yourself of energies taken on from the people you're helping. As I'm sure you're aware, other helpful practices are distancing and shielding. Compassion requires us to understand the other's pain, but it doesn't require that we experience it to the degree they do. I sometimes find myself alternating between experiencing the pain of the other person (as it resonates in me by "plucking the strings" of my own similar experiences) and - when I notice that happening - turning down the intensity of my emotions by stepping back from them, so I won't lose my ability to be helpful. Other than tears, I haven't experienced the physical resignations you describe, so I don't know if that's a possibility for you.

    I found the "Ministry Magazine" article interesting. As a healthcare chaplain, I've come to be able deal with the emotional tolls of the job. It took a couple of difficult situations, in which I was sideswiped by the pain of the people to whom I was ministering. Over time, I got better at self care, although I think it will always be a learning edge for me!

    I think the organizations that hire chaplains have a responsibility to hold down our hours. The professions of American Sign Language interpretation and music thanatology have learned that the physicality of the work will cripple people if they work 40 hours per week. In the same way, some nurses, I believe, work something like 30 hours per week. The risk of injury to chaplains isn't physical, but - as you've pointed out in this post - it can be just as debilitating.

    I'm enjoying your blog, Holly, and intend to comment on some of your previous posts, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcella,
      I think that the physical issues I've had are the result of a combination of my being very sensitive to emotional states, and having a body that just doesn't work right. I think you are correct though that thirty hours a week is probably plenty for many caring professions. Perhpas that is why the burnout rate is so high?!
      Some stories just hit us harder don't they? Can you say anymore about how you 'step back' from your emotions when you feel they are becoming too intense?
      Thanks for the great feedback!
      Holly

      Delete
  3. This is so well written and inspiring. With helpful advice on stress management to boot. I want to start adding essential oils to my meditation time ASAP. But what I really got out of this was inspiration to start writing about my own learning I'm engaged in. I've been struggling to write, and this absolutely motivated me. I hope all the research that went into this helps you physically, and that you have strong and PRESENT support to lean on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liana,

      Oh I love essential oils so much. I've made myself a blend of Lavender and Chamomile and put it in a small plastic bottle with a mister. I am going to try and remember to mist myself and the room occasionaly. I also grabbed three chunks of raw crystals to put next to my computer. I am trying to find little ways to chear up the room.

      I think you would be a fantastic writer. Go for it and let me know if you put it in a blog, I would love to readi t!

      Delete